Capital Gains Tax Planning
Entrepreneur’s relief allows investors a 10 per cent capital gains tax (CGT) rate on the first £10 million of their lifetime business related capital gains before they start to pay capital gains tax at the higher rates. This can represent a tax saving of £1.8m on larger transactions or over a business person’s life.
With the main rate of capital gains tax at 28 per cent, it is very important that business owners, considering a sale or gift to family members, review the availability of entrepreneur’s relief well in advance, together with a range of other reliefs that may be available to eliminate or defer potentially capital gains.
Who would find this service useful?
- Business owners who are considering the sale of the whole or part of their business or even just of a business asset that is valued at more than they paid for it
- Landowners – particularly where a sale of agricultural land is involved
- Individuals with assets standing at a considerable capital gain
What can we do to help you?
As with inheritance tax, it is difficult to look at CGT in isolation. There is very often more than one possible solution and other taxes to consider. The key to successful CGT planning is to act earlier than you think you need to.
We can offer advice on the following and more:
- entrepreneur’s relief on the disposal of business or partnership assets used in a trade or company, or shares in a trading company or trading group
- holdover relief on the gift of assets
- rollover Relief on business assets
- spouse/civil partner planning to maximise the reliefs available
- tax-efficient share ownership and sale
- tax-efficient property ownership and sale
- private residence relief (when two or more homes are owned or when a home is used partly for Business)
- Seed Enterprise Investment Scheme (SEIS), Enterprise Investment Scheme (EIS), and Venture Capital Trusts (VCT) investments
Please contact Alastair Byrne on 01757 294959 or email him at email@example.com to discuss our taxation services and how we can help you.
Our tax team